Remembering Dan Kij | News
BUFFALO, NY - Buffalo's Polish Community is remembering a well known local man. Dan Kij died this week and many are remembering his accomplishments.
Erie County Legislator Tom Mazur called Kij, "the sophisticated prankster of Polonia who was like a walking encyclopedia."
Hon. Carl Bucki, a local Bankruptcy Court Judge told 2 On Your Side how much he admired Kij. "Being Polish is being a better American," a statement he heard as a teen from Kij. "He was proud to be Polish, but more proud to be an American."
During the 1980's, Kij was a frequent contributor on Channel 2 News discussing political issues in Poland.
Kij had many accomplishments. He was past president of the Polish Union of America, co-founder of the Polish Genealogical Society of NYS, past president of the Polish Singers Alliance of America and a former candidate for the U.S. Congress.
Kij was an attorney and a longtime resident of Lackawanna.
A Mass of Christian Burial is set for Monday at Queen of Angels Church (Electric Ave. at Warsaw in Lackawanna) at 9:30. Interment in Holy Cross Cemetery.
Dan Kij was 80 years old.
Top South Buffalo Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum -Special Hours for Memorial Day Weekend
- Catholic Charities to Host Domestic Violence Training Focusing on New York Model for Batterers
- Bespoke Men’s Line to Launch in Buffalo
- Senator Grisanti's Bill Designates Pedestrian Bridge 'Scajaquada 9/11 Memorial Bridge'
- Dog Seriously Burned in House Fire Needs Your Help